Tuesday, September 11, 2007

out of the rut

I don't know if my first blogging experience was a success or not. I'm not sure how I feel about people responding to my thoughts without seeing them in person. I'm not a telephone person, I hear better with my glasses on. Although the two comments were not about what I said but about me actually blogging I had a very strange reaction. I was uncomfortable, my wife finds my discomfort extremely amusing, but I didn't find it amusing at all when I told her about it. I felt like I was cheating on my wife because two women left comments. It matters not that both my wife and I are friends with both women and I'm old enough to be ones dad and real close to being old enough to being the others dad, I was uncomfortable. It made me realize other discomforts that had occured and are occuring in my life. I realized that for 28 years I had been in the same job and pretty much been on cruise control in my life. A year ago I took the cruise control off and accepted a promotion, something I had done before but gave back because I didn't like it. Well I'm actually liking my new job and the challenges that it has brought. But after blogging and finding discomfort in the comments as well as my wifes response, I realized that I'm not as comfortable with change as I've led myself to believe. Getting out of a rut is alot of work and its painfull. there are however rewards: 1) I've learned lol means laugh out loud. 2) I've learned =) actually means something and isn't a mistake. 3) My friend Arlene can actually revel in my discomfort and have a joyous day ( don't think less of her, I've more than earned it) 4) I've realized that I need to examan myself and my life more critically and like my mom laugh at myself more readily 5) I also need to take more side trips to keep from getting into a rut again and allowing my vision to narrow as I have in the past. so I look forward to learning more no matter how much discomfort it causes.

7 comments:

Arlene Kasselman said...

Jim
Good thoughts. It made me think about the joy/pain of growing as a follower of Jesus. One of the hardest things about being a disciple for me is that when we make ourselves available to God, He rarely leaves us in our rut. He is always stretching, pulling, molding and shaping us. I love those times, don't get me wrong, but they are uncomfortable.

I'm sure some of the time He is thinking, "Girl if you would get this in your thick skull and let it take residence in your heart I wouldn't have to keep working you so hard - but I love you so let's keep going".

And PS - I think between Ange and I we make most people uncomfortable... :-)

Angie Bruce said...

Well, I'm just going to agree with Arlene instead of writing something sarcastic and most likely slightly inappropriate like I had intended. Come on, at least ACT surprised... =)

Angie Bruce said...

Ok then, on second thought...what I was GOING to say was I didn't know anybody could go from 0 to creepy faster than Arlene, but congratulations my friend. =) If "welcome to blogging" constitutes an affair for you, then I don't think I can talk to you anymore. =)

Signed,
Blog Bimbo 1 of 2

Arlene Kasselman said...

Ange
did you seriously write that about me...o-creepy!

Angie Bruce said...

Well, I seem to recall an incident with an innocent conversation that ended in someone lifting up someone else's shirt and checking out his "brand of pants"...or at least that's the way the story went.... =)

Gem N. said...

I feel so much better now.

Arlene Kasselman said...

Glad we could help Jim!